What are the benefits of a distributed file system?
- Multi-user, local/remote file sharing
- Unified and consistent view of shared folders/resources
- Data access transparency and location independence
- Data availability, even upon server or disk drive failures
- Improved File Availability, Access Time, and Network Efficiency
- Efficient Load Balancing and File Location Transparency
- Increased Scalability and Interoperability
- Increased Security and Administrative Flexibility
Examples of DFS
Did you know?
Scality RING offers both a file and object storage solution. Why does it matter to have both?
- It allows for future-proofing of your storage infrastructure: native file access is available to your current enterprise applications right away, while you have the option to switch to object access whenever your cloud-enabled applications require that along the way, on your own terms and on your own timeline.
- Scality’s native file access is layered on top of an underlying object store, so it inherits the performance, scalability, and flexibility attributes Scality is known for.