What is Software-defined Storage?
Hardware-centric storage systems, such as dedicated appliances and NAS, have hit a wall. They can’t cope with the massive data volumes, need for elastic scalability, and dynamic workloads of Digital Business, Big Data, and the cloud.
This is why they’re giving way to software-defined storage (SDS). In this radically different approach, storage resources are decoupled from hardware, aggregated into a giant pool, and distributed dynamically to applications and users as needed. The result? Scalability skyrockets. Hardware utilization soars. Costs plummet.
World-Leading Software-defined Storage Platform
Scality RING software-defined storage delivers the enormous scalability other architectures can’t. And it runs on the x86 servers you already have. Delivering the key advantages of cloud-hosted storage—and then some—right in your datacenter:
- Virtually unlimited scalability. Not just into multiple petabytes, but all the way to zetabytes.
- Guaranteed 100% uptime. No downtime ever, thanks to our unique approach to software-defined—including a “shared nothing” architecture with no single point of failure, automated self-healing, and erasure coding.
- On-demand scaling of capacity and performance. When you need to grow, just add more industry-standard x86 hardware—the latest, fastest, densest models of your choice. The RING handles the rest, automatically rebalancing data and scaling performance to match. No matter how many petabytes you scale to.
- A unified platform for all data types. RESTful and S3 interfaces support object data. Native NFS and SMB do the same for file-based data. Full LDAP encryption and Active Directory integration are included for secure access.
- Spectacular savings. When affordable x86 servers replace proprietary NAS appliances, the results are predictable: up to an 80% reduction in storage costs.
Who Uses Software-defined Storage?
The Scality RING is ideal for enterprise-wide storage—on its own, or combined with public cloud storage services to create a hybrid cloud.
- Enterprise IT solutions
- Media & Entertainment
- Financial Services
- Public sector
- Backup and archival storage
The Scality RING is the best way to deliver what cloud storage customers want: unlimited on-demand scalability combined with unprecedented availability and data durability.
Join us for a full day devoted to SDS Day in a city near you.
Attend a fast-paced and informative day of use-case panels and presentations featuring real-world customer success stories with Scality RING software-defined object storage.