Scality RING enables 1 billion views a year for video-on-demand provider
Growth is no longer a headache as Scality offers infinite scalability, unshakable reliability and extraordinary performance
As part of RTL Group, the leading European entertainment network — and as a subsidiary of Mediengruppe RTL Deutschland — RTL Interactive develops innovative themes, products and platforms that attract consumers as well as advertisers.
In 2007, the company inaugurated its video-on-demand offering, RTL NOW, which today delivers more than 1.19 billion video views annually.
Having experienced tremendous growth in its VOD business (to the tune of a hundred million video views per month), RTL needed a way to easily, quickly, cost-effectively and reliably scale beyond traditional storage solutions.
In addition to scalability, other key requirements included:
- Extraordinary performance
- Exceptional data resilience and disaster recovery provisions
- Efficient handling of very large files
- Multiple file access methods
The introduction of the RTL NOW app for iPhone and Android also demanded that the company expand its storage very quickly. Time was of the essence, and Scality fit the bill for RTL’s much-needed revamp.
RTL Interactive was introduced to Scality RING by its subsidiary company, the German social network wer-kennt-wen.de, which had already been using Scality RING to store subscriber photos for more than two years. Werkenntwen’s very positive experience with the RING was an important factor in the selection process.
“With Scality RING, we’ll be able to deploy more storage capacity in a shorter time frame. This allows us to introduce new products and features to the market sooner.”
Based on a successful on-site proof-of-concept prototype to test performance, data resilience and disaster recovery configurations, with particular emphasis on failover scenarios for disk/server failures or network interruptions, the RTL infrastructure team determined that Scality RING provided the best-fit solution.
- Scalability: Scality RING easily scaled, successfully handling large numbers of files, including very large files.
- Resilience: Scality RING never lost data when system failures occurred at disc, server or network levels.
- Compatibility: Scality RING proved compatible with a range of existing applications.
- Performance: With potentially hundreds of thousands of simultaneous views, RTL’s VOD service and streaming servers require high read performance from the storage repository. Even at very large scale, Scality RING was able to maintain the necessary IOPS for customer needs. Target bandwidth expected for the platform is: 4 Gbits/sec for reads and 800 Mbits/sec for writes.
- Cost-efficiency: Scality RING works on any x86 platform, letting RTL interactive choose the best hardware vendor to meet their needs.
Within 18 months following initial installation, the storage solution managed approximately 16,000 hours of video and 22,000 movies and television series. Annual capacity growth of 300% is expected as both the number and size of files increase and the number of viewers and individual video views also continues to grow.
“Although object storage itself wasn’t the goal for us, this technology offers us the scalability, reliability and performance that we need, as well as the ability to easily integrate storage into our existing infrastructure. We can just add disks and servers to grow the capacity easily. This really impressed us.”