WHAT IS RING
RING is Scality’s award winning petabyte-scale, software-only storage solution. Scality RING is based on a patented object storage technology with full scale-out file system support. It is built using a distributed, shared-nothing architecture with no single point-of-failure. Built-in tiering provides maximum flexibility in storage configuration, and delivers low latency and high performance.
Scality RING provides scalability both in capacity and performance, is cost efficient to operate and delivers comprehensive data protection. Scality’s RING software storage solution operates seamlessly on any commodity server hardware, turning generic x86 servers into a reliable, high performance storage platform. The servers provide the storage media, whether it is performance oriented SSDs or capacity oriented SATA drives. Scality’s software takes care of the rest, delivering centralized management, data protection, self-healing, high availability and automated-tiering.
Scality RING supports POSIX file systems, including its own Scale-Out File System, is available with Multi-Geo support for geo-redundancy and high availability, and ARC erasure coding for efficient data protection. The Scality Scale-Out File System is a complete, fully functional storage system. It delivers a state of the art solution for file access, sharing and distribution and provides the complete functionality that any application would expect from a file system. The Scality Scale-Out File System has a parallel design from the client to the core of the RING storage nodes, facilitates application integration, and is fully scalable. Multi-Geo facilitates synchronous and asynchronous geo-distribution across multiple, geographically distributed, data centers, allowing users to access distributed data-centers from one central data-center, thus reducing user response times and ensuring faster disaster recovery. ARC (Advanced Resilience Configuration), Scality’s erasure coding technology, provides support for erasure coding for data protection and resilience. It is a better alternative than RAID, providing protection against simultaneous failures at the disk, server and network levels, and addressing the cost concerns associated with large-scale deployments.
A summary of Scality RING’s features and benefits are highlighted below:
- Fully operational on commodity server hardware
- 3rd generation object storage technology
- Parallel end-to-end architecture
- Self-healing – automatically handles node additions and removals
- Full scale-out model – linearly scalable from terabytes to exabytes and beyond
- Erasure coding for data persistence with checksum and replication support
- Full API support, including HTTP REST, RS2, Cinder OpenStack, and Hadoop CDMI
- High availability, reliability and data protection that delivers peace of mind
- High performance — high IOPs, high throughput, and low latency
- Architectural design and APIs that ensure forward compatibility with new technologies and standards
- Scalability to meet growing data demands
- Ease of integration and quick deployments into existing environments
- Extremely cost efficient, with low overall operational costs
The Scality RING software was deployed live starting in 2010. Today RING is deployed globally at many customers in a number of markets, including Email Service Providers, Media & Entertainment, HPC, Government and Enterprise.