San Francisco, CA – October 16, 2014 – Scality, the leader in software-defined storage (SDS) at petabyte-scale, had another record quarter in Q3, equalling all bookings in 2013. Scality’s accelerating success was driven by growth in new markets, for example the Media industry’s adoption of Scality for video archiving and video distribution.
Scality also announced earlier today a major global distribution agreement with HP. HP is the leading server manufacturer, with 26.5% of the worldwide server market according to IDC.[i] Reselling Scality will enable HP to compete more efficiently in the growing Software Defined Storage space, leveraging their SL4500 and DL380/360 product lines.
The IT industry is on the verge of a significant shift, coined the “Web-Scale Singularity” by Gartner. In data storage, this translates into the disruption of traditional storage appliances from the likes of EMC and NetApp by a software-based approach. Leveraging research from all major analysts and internal analysis, Scality found the total addressable market (TAM) for the company’s software will be more than $5 billion by 2020. Key findings and trends addressed in the State of the IT Storage Industry report include:
- 90% of storage will be unstructured data by 2017
- Billions of dollars of value will shift from traditional storage appliances and the storage management software of today (e.g. EMC, IBM, Symantec, NetApp) to standard servers running software-defined storage platforms
- The storage software market will be $13B by 2020, and Scality will address 45% of it
- Scality software will enable billions of dollars of net new server-based storage revenue
- Based on average spend, there are 22,000 data centers that will consume SDS platforms
Building for this redefined industry landscape, Scality is launching a new brand and website today. The new Scality logo represents a new stage of the company, and a steadfast commitment to six constituents: customers, partners, employees, shareholders, technology and social responsibility.
- Customers: Scality’s first customer is still a customer today, only ten times bigger. We’re celebrating the loyalty of our customers with the launch of our Customer Design Partner Program, where key customers help us to refine and innovate the RING.
- Partners: In addition to HP, Scality is proud to share joint customer deployments with Dell, Cisco, Seagate, Supermicro, and SGI, bringing constant flexibility and innovation to our customer’s environments.
- Employees: Investment and devotion to employees has been an important aspect of Scality’s scale and development. More than 75 percent of Scality employees are investors in the company.
- Shareholders: Unlike the current trend of spendthrift startups burning through their investments, Scality has doubled its employee count since its Series C in July 2013, and still has half the $22 million in the bank.
- Technology: Scality’s unique technologies are the result of foundational research efforts, and have paid off in market adoption and awards from organizations like Syntec and EY (formerly Ernst and Young). Unusually for a startup, Scality maintains a pure research organization, and actively funds distributed computing research at INRIA, the only public research body fully dedicated to computational sciences.
- Social responsibility: Scality is committed to ultimate social responsibility in business ethics and contributing to a better world. In this context, the CEO, Jerome Lecat, has personally endeavored to bridge the divide between France and the Silicon Valley to drive innovation and investment of startups with footprints in France. In one of several initiatives, Jerome is an active member of the organization La French Tech, which invited leading American VCs (including Andreessen Horowitz, Menlo Ventures, True Ventures, Globespan Capital, Thrive Capital, and FirstMark Capital) to France to meet with government officials and French President Hollande in June 2014 (http://bonjourlafrenchtech.com/).
“A year ago, I embarked Scality on a transformation journey, from an early stage start-up to a bonafide self-standing enterprise.” said Scality CEO Jerome Lecat. “We have recruited very senior people, entered new verticals and new geographies, matured our product, built strong partnerships with leading brands…. and now the butterfly is ready to get out of the shell. Our new brand is a commitment to the future, and we are keeping our culture, our diversity, our camaraderie, our belief in technology, and our passion for solving real life problems.”
- To download a summary of the State of the IT Storage Industry report, go here
- To read the Scality and HP global agreement, go here
- To learn more about HP and Scality’s petabyte-scale SDS solutions, go here
- To learn more about the Scality RING software-based, software-defined storage, go here
Scality is the industry leader in petabyte-scale, software-defined storage. Founded in 2009, Scality has deployed software-based storage solutions that deliver billions of files to more than one hundred fifty million users daily with 100% availability. The Scality RING software runs on any standard x86 servers and makes it scale to hundreds of petabytes and billions of objects. The RING’s end-to-end parallel architecture provides unsurpassed performance, while its patented object storage core increases availability and durability and dramatically reduces operational costs. The RING integrates with applications through standard storage protocols such as NFS; S3; OpenStack Swift and Cinder. Scality’s customers include four of the world’s largest media companies, two of the largest telecommunications firms, and other market leaders throughout the US, EU, and Japan.
Lumina Communications PR for Scality